JSpeed.net Forums  

Go Back   JSpeed.net Forums > CR-X Forums > CR-X Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Default my glassroof si

I have a 1990 cr-x si glass roof edition and the pros about the car are as follows
Sprayed chrysler blue (product number p422/a449) 2years ago-2008
Body is in good condition
Engine and gearbox are new (under 40,000 miles) 1 year ago- 2009
Interior is in good condition with battery and oil temp gauges, tenzo steering wheel
It has disc brakes all round perfect for conversion
The engine is a d16a9 dohc producing around 130bhp
It has a full Megan racing exhaust with a Megan 4branch manifold
Its on Weitec lowering springs about 50mm
Tenzo front and back strut braze
Orginal cr-x mats
Orginal cr-x lights
Orginal front bumper and back bumper
Orginal seats and leather rear interior
Tinted windows black
Orginal spoiler
No rust on arches
Central locking and Meta alarm system
Front and back lip
Side skirts

All the bad spots on this car are as follows
Rust around the drivers door and on the a piller and under the door
bad drivers seat (ripped)
No gear nob
The spare tyre space in the boot has been fiber glassed maybe due to rust need to look more into that
Front windscreen is cracked
Roof glass cracked
Bonnet is bent
Spark plugs are gone
Left caliper ceased
Little bits and peaces on the dash
A few small chips in the paint nothing serious
Pulley for the back leather seat missing
No cd player
No battery
Starter Gone
Left drive shaft boot split
Front pads gone
Now that is every thing good and bad about the cr-xwhich i bought for 650

Plan 1

Ok this is going to be a break down of my basic plan, hence the title plan one. I am sure there will be problems and many more plans to come.

So the main plan of this project is to make an economical, high preformance, stylish cr-x and later on when i have more money maybe turn it into a monster.

So first things I am going to start focus on is cleannig it up and getting it back on the road so the starting points.

Fix all the rust and see if i can find any more
Fix the windscreen take the one from my crashed crx. Autoglass said they would do it for €120.
Fix the roof. Buy off a friend €100 and autoglass were very unsure about this maybe €100. Might attack it myself
Buy a carbon bonnet off fiberfox on hondacrx.co.uk €409 plus postage
Buy a set of 16” momo corse alloys max €400
Buy a new battery or see if mine can be reused
Take my starter from other crx
New plugs
Loosen the left caliper and put new pads in.
New drive left shaft boot
Then bring in for nct, see what she fails on and if nothing, happy days
Fix what every needs fixing and start more work.......

Day 1

My girlfriend and another friend of mine drove to Dungarven to see the cr-x after seeing it on the internet for sale. He wanted €1000 but i ended up knocking him down to €650. There was a bit of work to be done so €1000 would have been too expensive. My Dad and
i picked up the car about a week later.

So when we picked the car up from Dungarvan Co.Waterford. All was going well until it started raining when we got there. We had an a-frame to toe it back to Gort. Because of the crx being so low we had to take the front bumper and splitter off. “It was hell” . Once we had pretty much the front of the car stripped, we connected up the a-frame and away we went. 2mins down the road we could feel it dragging so pulled in to source the problem. The front left caliper had ceased. So hopped in the crx, pumped the brakes hoping to see if we could loosen it. It looked and felt like it had a bit so we decided to carry on see how it goes until we get into Dungarvan town. Once we had made it as far as Dungarvan, we hopped out to see if there was any change. No good so we had to whip the cailper off on the side of the road which actually went well. So three hours later we made it back home. The crx was intact thank god i was so nervous all the way back to Galway. Only down side was it was covered in mud and when i say covered i mean covered. So that was enough for the day.

Day 2

Its a nice sunny day so i said i would clean up the crx and get it ready to be dismanteled.
So here is the first picture of the crx

[img][/img]
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Now after a nice wash:

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Now doesn't that look alot better but that was just a quick clean to get some of the grit and dirt off to make it a little nicer to work on but as you can see in the pictures there is a few little touch ups needed on the bodywork and those wheels have to go ha ha. You can also see the cracked window and the roof but other than that the car is actually in good condition.
Now thats all i am going to attack for today in the shed she goes to get ready.

Day 3

Now i am going to try locate all the bad spots eg. Rust. And decide what to start on first.

[img][/img][img][/img]

Thats just by the back right quater window now that is a bad bit of rust that needs to be
sorted hopefully there is none actually going along the inside of the window

[img][/img]

The right side of the car as you can see the bottom trim is not on properly not a hard job to fix though. There is also a few chips out of the paint.

[img][/img]

Thats the right hand door and front quater panel dont know why but the door keeps catching
on the quater panel and as you can see it has chip the paint.

[img]

Thats on the right pillar. The rust seems alright just a bit of sanding and filling i will attack this once i have the window out.

[img][/img]

As i have talked about before here is the cracked window.

[img][/img[img][/img]]

And the cracked roof all done by the bonnet.

[img][img]

The boot is well nasty not as bad as it looks, but still bad. Not sure what i am going to do mite just cut it all out and put my old crx boot in.

[/img][/img]

Green mats thats always a good sign ha ha. Well at least there orginal crx mats. Nothing a good clean cant fix.

[img][/img]

The interior is a bit shaby so i just toke a picture of the worest bit the drivers seat. The aircon is all smashed up still works but doesnt look nice and its all very dirty.

Day 4

So i have the steelys off and it on top of four blocks of wood does the job fine, under the
body looks fine. Now i am going to attack all the big problems to get it moving and runnning.
So first i am going to take of all the cailpers and clean them all and put new pads on.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Thats the left caliper that ceased off. Well there are some pretty looking brake pads ha. They got so hot and tight that it toke a clean chunk out of the pad. But anyway old ones are of and new ones are on.
Well thats all for today.

Day 5

Now today i am going to try get stuck into the driveshaft and see if the old one fits from the research i have done it does'nt but you never know.

[img][/img]

Just got the driveshaft out and it is'nt the same as the the dual carb so looks like ill be getting a new outer boot no worrys (20e).

[img][/img]

Now just got the knew one in and driveshaft back on bad picture.
Thats all i have time for today.

Day 6

Now today i am going to be taking the old starter out and replacing it with the one from my daul carb should fit.

[img][/img]

Finally got it out trust me thats a £$%%^ ha. Well no just the really annoying.

[img][/img]

There it is we tested it and toke it apart and it seem find bad news could mean some think is wrong with a number of other things eg flywheel so we said we test it back in the car put in back work 1,2,3 times and on the 4th it finally gave in thank god so we toke the other one out of the dualcarb and stuck it in working perfect. A little bit bigger shell wise but still fits and works perfect.
Now thats all for today.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM

nice work its great to see restoration work

will you make the summer meet?